How are women’s pants organized in a store?
-Size, color, pattern, style
v.s. How are they organized in a woman’s closet?
– Women organize socks and legwear to coordinate outfits
*”Industry Centric Point of View”
– reflects the way that the business behaves internally, NOT the way that the customer’s operate
“Ethnographic research is different because you go in ‘like a martian'”; without knowing the answer.
“Making the familiar Strange”
– don’t judge
– “unpack it”: take apart assumptions and ideas in order to reveal some new truth
– question your own judgement
– different behavioral ques that indicate availability to communicate
– is technology in the way
– behavioral ques are usually “subtle and sophisticated”
Bicycles (England)- video camer on the bicycle helmet
– Not documentary film making
– Point of view of Bicycle Rider
Organize books in a library, organized by feeling
Anthropology – the study of humankind
User Experience (UX) – the overall experience of a person using a product, such as a website or a computer application, in terms of how easy or pleasing it is to use.
Mandate – task
“bring stories from the outside world into the company”
What’s in your car?
– not just technology
– there are needs that the car does not meet
– they mix (i.e. iPads and iPhones in car)